If you want to be happy and successful, don’t follow your feelings, let your feelings follow you.
…for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
(2 Timothy 1:7)
…Better a patient person than a warrior, one with
self-control than one who takes a city
3 Handles of Emotions: Rules, Focus and Gift
What are Your Rules of Happiness?
- If you want to manage your emotions, you have to manage your Rules for having that emotion.
- Your rules for happiness are the conditions you require before you give yourself permission to be happy.
Two sets of Rules of Happiness
“I’m happy when I arrive at my destination.”
“I’m happy when I take a single step towards my destination.”
- Don’t tie your happiness to your destination, because you won’t experience true happiness while your alive. Why? There will always be something that will block your path to happiness… And that something is called LIFE.
- Instead, tie your happiness to your development. Learn to enjoy the journey. Every single step. Every single moment.
“I’m happy when all things go my way.”
“I’m happy when all things work for my good.”
- You won’t be happy often when you permit yourself to be happy just when things go your way. Why? Because much of life is unpredictable, there are so many things that you cannot control.
- Instead, believe that God is orchestrating all your problems to work for your benefit. God is rearranging circumstances to conspire to bless you. And God is engineering unwanted detours towards your favor.
The very thing that caused you to cry will be
the very same thing that will make you laugh one day.
The very thing that made you sad will be
the very same thing that will make you happy.
Verses to Ponder
The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance.
Start the music and beat the tambourines; play pleasant music on the harps and the lyres.
Blow the trumpet for the festival, when the moon is new and when the moon is full. This is the law in Israel, an order from the God of Jacob.
When he came near the place where the road goes down the Mount of Olives, the whole crowd of disciples began joyfully to praise God in loud voices for all the miracles they had seen: “Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord! Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!” Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to Jesus, “Teacher, rebuke your disciples!” “I tell you,” he replied, “if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out.”
Personal Reflection and Group Discussion:
What are your Rules of Happiness? Should you subtract, add, and edit any of these Rules that aren’t working in your favor?